Monday, September 26, 2011

Monkey Dream, So goes dream flowers, Wild Flowers, The Water's Fine by Arletta

Monkey Dream by Arletta


Arletta

Monkey Dream by 

First, there was a piece of melamine and some paint. Then, there was a beautiful painting, very simplistic, of a silhouette of a woman in a garden, with the planets overhead. She was black, most of the lines were blue, the flowers were red, and the background was black.
It was scratched up by people who have no respect for me or my artwork. This is fairly typical, except they really did a number on it. So, it was repainted. It was rescratched, had a bicycle leaned against it even, and so it was repainted; the cats did it no justice, so, again, it was repainted.
You get the picture!
I started painting it in 1996, I believe. It’s still not done, for every time I think I’m done, someone comes by and pulls the jewely, which I had decided to add to it for textural interest, off; or they scratch it some more; or they drill holes in it and use it to block drafts.
No, I am not kidding!
It gets a little more ornate with every painting, as I have to come up with ways to cover over the scratches and such, and then blend in whatever it is I did to it.
This is not the painting, per say. This is a picture of the main part of the painting, which I then added to on the sides, digitally painted in a lot of the scratched places with color and shapes, then had to use various filters and such to get the new stuff to look somewhat like the old stuff. It was a LOT of hard work, hours worth, but, I’m very happy with the result.
It takes several of the same elements in the original painting, adds in some new elements (the stylized monkey faces), and is altered all the way around enough that it can be said to be entirely original. If you saw the painting, you’d recognize it was by the same artist and had some of the same elements, but, it is obviously not the same piece!
Also, I am happy, as this one is bound to be harder for people to scratch up!
I also created another digital painting that incorporated a manipulated digital image from the same original painting, which I am uploading today. I hope to make more. One thing I very much enjoy doing, is true mixed media artwortk of this sort.
Oh, and for the criminally insane out there: monkey dream only refers to the happy accident of creating what looks, to me, like stylized monkeys wearing crowns. So, if you think there’s a racial slur involved, get your head out of your butt and read this again!
Favorite 

Tags

Comments

  • Byronanarchy
    Byronanarchyover 3 years ago
    Wait? This and the dream flowers one were made from the same original? ??? REALLY!?
  • Byronanarchy
    Byronanarchyover 3 years ago
    Oh yeah! I can see it now. Got some of the same colors and flowers, but man they don’t look the same. Like one isn’t just a detail of the other.
    Well, girl, you really topped yourself with this one and the other. Absolutely fantastic. I can’t believe more people haven’t commented your work. It’s f’ng phenomenal! I just can’t stop looking! Only reason to stop looking at this one is to start looking at the other one!
    GORGEOUS PAINTINGS! I am such a fan!
  • Byronanarchy
    Byronanarchyover 3 years ago
    Still no comments, huh? Weird! You should go to a real gallery and sell your prints. This is too good to sit around being ignored on the internet, Arletta!
  • Comments aren’t everything; though I do appreciate them. Thank you! I can’t afford to go to a gallery and sell them lol Have been told that before, though.
     – Arletta
  • Logan Fulcher
    Logan Fulcherabout 3 years ago
    I really like your process here? Do you leave your paintings outside or what? How do they get vandalized so often? It’s really interesting. It would be cool to have a piece of art that existed for people to try and destroy, and have it keep growing. A bit of a metaphor for life and a struggle to exist. Cool. Fav.
  • No, not really; I just have that sort of family, neighborhood, etc. I’m very Rodney Dangerfield! So .. lol .. it’s not a purposeful progress, though I do have to say it brings out the silver lining in the clouds!
    – Arletta



So goes dream flowers by Arletta

Arletta

So goes dream flowers by 

For a detailed description of how this came to be, more or less, please see my piece titled ‘Monkey Dream’
Favorite 

Tags

Comments

  • Byronanarchy
    Byronanarchyover 3 years ago
    A MASTERPIECE! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am simply in awe! This is so amazing, Arletta. Right up there with all the old dead men that are on pedestals already! Smashing!
  • Byronanarchy
    Byronanarchyover 3 years ago
    Arletta, this is so gorgeous it’s actually physically painful to me. This is your soul! This is deep, wild, wonderful, crazy, real artistry. You are an artist through and through.
  • Byronanarchy
    Byronanarchyover 3 years ago
    I logged on today especially to read your story and see this painting. It’s exquisite!


Wild Flowers by Arletta

Wild Flowers (above) was a real painting, but, it no longer exists outside of the captured image. 


Arletta

Wild Flowers by 

Emphasis on the word wild. This is a 16"x 20" acrylic on canvas with glitter added for the stamen. That is the stamen, yes? I am not up so much on flower parts, I must admit.
More proof, is this, that I can and do actually paint on canvas.
10/19/2009 Here is something you should probably know, and which reminds me of Douglas Adams: Despite that this is a scan of a painting, the painting no longer exists.
Why?
It was battered about, worn in places, and generally abused by others; so I started to fix it, but, I did not have the same materials as when I had created it. So, now, the painting has evolved into some other work, that bears a resemblance to this one; and, this scan is what is left.
So, now, can it still be put into groups about “real” paintings? It was created with paint and canvas, after all, so it is real; except that it no longer exists.
Oh, the wonders of modern technology!
Favorite 

Tags

Comments

  • eon .
    eon .almost 3 years ago
    Sweet Neat petite ( ’ – ))





  The Water's Fine by Arletta


Arletta

The Water's Fine by 

I still want to go to Scotland ….
Favorite 

Tags

Comments

  • genevievem
    genevievemover 3 years ago
    this is a very evocative piece Arletta! The swirls remind me of Van Gogh.
  • And this is a very evocative comment, Genevieve, as I used to try to make swirls reminiscent of Van Gogh. This time, I wasn’t trying … maybe that’s what I’ve been doing wrong all these years lol Thank you!
     – Arletta
  • genevievem
    genevievemover 3 years ago
    I think that when you really like something it influences you anyway without trying to.
  • Valerie Anne Kelly
    Valerie Anne K...about 3 years ago
    Oh this is a wonderful painting..love Vincent..love the swirls….keep going with the swirls ;) Val hugzz
  • Thank you. I love swirls, too, to a ridiculous degree I’m afraid. lol That’s why that Starry Night (please let me have gotten the title correct) is one of my favorites of all time, I suppose.
     – Arletta

No comments:

Post a Comment